Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day...I Miss My Dad

Today is Father's Day and I'm really missing my Dad. We moved to Ohio 8 years ago away from all of our family, and it's days like this that I wish I could just go to my Mom's house for coffee, and spend some time with him. A lot of people just don't "get" my Dad. To most he seems like a grumpy, negative, person who does nothing but complain about life and almost everything in it! It absolutely drives most people crazy, but he just makes me giggle! I think I am the only one (other than my Mom) that just understands that's how he is, and dosen't take things literally, or personal. We have always had a good relationship. I think I have always been someone who understands him, and he knows it. And most of all I absolutely love him for who he is. He was always a fun Dad growing up. He would give us rides on the running boards of his car, when he was coming up the road, home from work. He use to laugh at me when I would hide in his clothes hamper and scare him. He loved me to polish his shoes, and I loved to do it for him! He always had a little can of change in his car, so if we ever needed any money to go with our friends, it was there. He loved to play games, and color with me. I could go on and on, it's all those "little things", that I look back on now, that I realize are the things that matter. He was never afraid to put me in my place and set me straight when he didn't agree with my decisions. No matter what choices I made, he still loves me. He dosen't have to tell me, but I know it. I was so lucky to grow up with him for a Dad, and I thank God for my family every day. Even though he is a mystery to most people, he is a hero to me, and always will be, grumpyness, and all...LOL!!!

2 comments:

Mike & Cody said...

Kim, we also have a blog. This has really challenged me but I love it. Glad to read yours. Cute family.

Karie said...

I think you and your Mom are the only ones too! Your Mom is so cute and fun, never could quite figure it out. Oh, well, we all have ours. . .Love ya, KL