Monday, June 23, 2008

In 5 years will this matter?

This has become my daily saying to myself when dealing with my teenagers...LOL! I am still not in the running for "Mother of the Year", according to my kids. But just to make me feel better, my husband isn't up for any awards either. We have ruined our 14 year olds entire life by taking her cell phone away. Her whole life is "ruined"! Oh my, does she realize how lucky she is to even have a cell phone? I coulden't even convience my parents to let me have A phone in my room when I was growing up! (And needless to say....I lived!) But I have come to the realization that we need to start picking our battles with them, or everything is going to be a fight. Maybe it's time for me to release the apron strings a little, and let them start learning their lessons the hard way. But why is that so hard for us? We all lived, in fact some of my greatest lessons came from learning them the hard way, and listening to my Mom say, " I told you so..." But I have a really hard time letting my kids make mistakes, seeing them fail, or seeing their feelings hurt. Did my Mom feel this way too? I'm seeing her in such a new light now that I have kids...LOL! So from now on I'm going to keep asking my self...."In 5 years is this going to matter?"

2 comments:

Karie said...

Oh, Kim! You will survive. We all do. . . one little note of advice, it NEVER ENDS. . . Love ya, KL

Mike & Cody said...

Kim,let them know how lucky they are to have cell phones!! We Have 2 extras that our 5 kids share. We are also the worst parents in the world because ours get the phones taken away also. Who knew what our contract really said when we became parents? I should have read the fine print. Hang in there. I am sure we will survive. If you weren't a great parent, you wouldn't care!!